Sunday, August 24, 2008

Weekend on the Sand

We've been down at the Cape this weekend. The weather has been fantastic! It's always refreshing to experience a change of pace and scenery. Here are a couple of videos of the boys at play yesterday afternoon...


On the drive down, with Robbo and Austin in the back seats and Bueller (our sweet little old lady cat) in the front, I was playing radio DJ. I switched back and forth from Sirius hits to 70's to 80's to 90's to contemporary Christian to kids stuff. However, when Prince's "1999" began playing, I landed on the 80's station. Robbo piped up after a few minutes, with a lot of sarcasm and a little bit of disgust... "the music you listen to!"

It's funny how music defines things. Decades, events, memories, ourselves, moods, movies. By simply hearing a few notes from a song, we are immediately transferred to another place and time, almost as if we are re-living the experience. "1999" put me back in the Fall of my senior year in high school, driving my two-toned Cutlass through the streets (and McDonald's drive-thru) of Minden, Louisiana. The years 1999 and 2000 seemed an eternity away back then... kind of like 2014 (when Robbo will graduate) seems now.

I have learned that life passes all too quickly. And the moments like the ones on the beach this weekend are priceless and to be treasured. I am thankful for those moments.

No comments: