Friday, August 1, 2008

The Flip-Side of Anger

It's my birthday today. And I woke up feeling angry.

Not because I'm "turning" 42. And not because Austin was up at 4:15 this morning, asking for a Pop-Tart. And not because I can't get the network to connect right now so that I can post this.

I'm angry because life really sucks right now for a couple of people that I care about, and it's just not fair.

For some reason yesterday, when reading my friend Milton's blog, I decided to click on the link and check out what John Brashier (one of the youth ministers who we once did a youth camp together with) has been up to. Upon reading his blog, I learned that Grant, his 17-year-old son has just been diagnosed with stage 4 Hodgkins Lymphoma. I caught up on their journey here.

So I emailed our mutual friend David Gentiles to make sure that he knew about it. I quickly got a response back saying thanks, and that Sarah Bickle (another mutual friend) had just called a little earlier to tell him that Thomas, her three-year-old who has been fighting a brain tumor, had just died.

Damn.

So I guess after writing that, I'm feeling less angry and just really
sad. I can only imagine what it feels like to be John and Lianne, or
Scott and Sarah. I hurt for them and with them. And I pray that they
will be able to sense God's comfort and presence in this day and the days
to come.

Maybe the flip-side of anger is gratitude, I don't know. But I do know that life is precious. That is what I am remembering on this birthday. And I am treasuring each and every moment with my two amazing sons and wonderful husband... both the fun ones and the frustrating ones. I am thankful for the friends and family who God has allowed me to share my journey with, and I am amazed at the love God has for me and for all of us, regardless of the circumstances we find ourselves in.

No comments: