Monday, August 11, 2008

"A Lot of Old"

Wow. It's been almost a week since I posted anything! In that time, Rob and I have gone to the Patriots first pre-season game, and all of us went to the Cape for the weekend (and had some friends down on Saturday!). Now we're headed into Austin's birthday week... full steam ahead!!

I finished reading Water for Elephants last night. I have to admit that a couple of times earlier in the book I almost put it down... it was very well written, but didn't "demand" my attention or my desire to read. But for some reason (probably because I had it posted here as a book I was reading and felt somewhat obligated to finish), I stayed with it. I am so glad I did! The last one-third of the story pulled me along and had me reading at every chance I found... on the beach, watching Austin ride his bike, inbetween rounds of Wii Olympics, etc.

Anyway, it is a great story of redemption and grace, in the midst of depression-era circus life. I found myself reflecting on several different aspects and elements of the story, which maybe I'll get around to posting. Definitely worth the read.

Last night, Austin and I were talking about him being three, almost four, when he asked how old I was. I replied that I was 42. "No, mom. I mean how old are you... like I am three?" I told him 42, and he still seemed puzzled.

"Do you want me to count to 42 so you can see how old I am?"

"Sure!"

So I counted. When I got to 42, he looks at me and exclaimed, "Wow! That's a lot of old!"

Ok, so I am a lot of old... :-)

No comments: