Monday, August 3, 2009

Thousands of Miles

I woke up this morning to the sad news that Maggie Lee Henson is no longer with us. Maggie Lee was a 12-year-old who had been fighting for her life since being injured in the FBC Shreveport bus accident in Meridian, Mississippi, three weeks ago.

I have no personal connections to Maggie Lee. I don't know her. I don't know her parents (although we travelled similar paths at Baylor and Southwestern). But it could have just as easily be me sitting in that critical care unit - either as a patient, or as a youth minister, hoping and praying for one of my students to survive.

I can't count the number of miles I have travelled on a bus carrying kids and chaperones. Youth camps. Retreats. Choir tours. Ski trips. Mission trips. Thousands and thousands of miles.

I have no words. A lot of questions. A lot of gratitude. But no words except these:

Go headlong into the arms of Jesus, Maggie Lee... go and giggle and dance!

No comments: