Sunday, August 2, 2009

Kindle vs. Books

Rob got me an Amazon Kindle for my birthday. It should arrive tomorrow, so I am anxiously awaiting the big brown truck to pull up at the end of our driveway. I'm not sure whether or not I'll actually allow the driver to take a few steps up the hill or whether I'll meet him as he hops from his always-open door. The answer is probably as simple as whether or not we are home at the time of his arrival.

I am excited, as you can tell.

I must admit, I have always been a lover of books. Not just of reading, but of books themselves. Books are friends. They are a comforting presence, a sign of accomplishment, an open invitation, a collection of memories - both published and created. I like to hold books, touch the pages, see them on the shelves. I'm not sure how it will feel to just jump ship to an electronic version. It feels like I am committing an act of betrayal.

Yet I am loving the idea of acquiring a new read in less than 60 seconds. In having a newspaper waiting for me each morning. Of not weighting down my backpack on a trip with multiple books (rather with 10.6 oz.!). Of being able to pull out my Kindle and read without a thought of "now which page was I on?" There are a lot of things that I am looking forward to with my new gadget.

My bookshelves might start growing lighter as time passes. But there are some "friends" that will always come to live on them in hard copy no matter what...

Even if I do happen to read them on Kindle first!

No comments: