Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Morning Of

I am sitting in a darkened hotel room, with Austin sleeping in the bed. Rob and Robbo are in the lobby eating breakfast. It is 5:38 a.m.

In less than 3 hours, Robbo will run the 1500M race at the AAU Jr Olympics. He has been training for this for months. He has been waiting for this for over a year. His body is prepared; I hope I have done my part in preparing him emotionally.

He is only thirteen. I am forty-three. This is a big race, a national race, no matter what age you are. But I have years with me, I have perspective. He is a young teenager, every day is bigger than life. Every race defines you.

Which is why I have (I should more accurately say "we," as in his dad and I) kept telling him to "have fun," and "do your best." It's why we remind him that "all athletes have good days and bad days." It's the reason we are quick to point out the examples of great athletes coming back from poor performances.

I want him to succeed more than anyone. But I guess it's only parental nature to want to help prepare him for any falls along the way. I want him to know that he is good enough no matter what. That he doesn't have to run fast or get good grades or score a lot of points or anything like that to be someone special or to be loved. Just being himself is enough.

So go, Robbo. Go and run this morning. Run knowing that you are loved by God and by us...

1 comment:

dg said...

Sooooooo... How did Robbie do?