Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Chess Game of Politics

I came home after taking Austin to school today and crawled under the covers. Literally. Most of the time I sleep because I am exhausted from playing/chasing/correcting/teaching/holding/ feeding/entertaining Austin. Today I was hiding. I was excaping for just a little while.

It seems I am being played (albeit minor in the big scheme of things) as a pawn in the chess game known as youth sports politics. I won't go into details because in a while from now it won't matter much anyway. But the thought that hit me on the way home today was "Wow. I've been out of the politics game for a long time. I didn't realize how freeing that feels, how a definite lack of stress accompanies that privilege." I don't like being back.

Being in ministry for a lot of years, I've dealt with plenty of political situations. It's sad, but the church has more than it's share. Almost anyone who works outside the home, faces those situations in the workplace. What leads us to be less-than-honest with those whom we work, play, coach, live, and interact?

Sometimes, we tell ourselves it is in order to protect someone's feelings. But most of the time, politics enters the scene when there is something we want... power, position, prestige, etc. And the path of least resistence all-to-often leaves collateral damage in its wake.

I don't like being a pawn.

No comments: